Safeguarding at Wheatfields Junior School
Wheatfields Junior School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check is required for all posts prior to commencement.
Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children is defined as:
· Protecting children from maltreatment;
· Preventing impairment of children’s mental and physical health or development.
· Ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care:
· Taking action to enable all children to have the best life chances.
Keeping Children Safe in Education ( KCSiE), DfE 2020 Update - January 2021 Post EU Exit) states that, in addition to the three yearly cycle of safeguarding and child protection training, all staff members should receive safeguarding and child protection updates (for example, via email, e-bulletins and staff meetings), as required, but at least annually, to provide them with relevant skills and knowledge to safeguard children effectively.
At Wheatfields Junior School, all staff are trained at Level 1 and the DSL(s) deliver regular updates using materials provided by Hertfordshire Child Protection School Liaison Team, in line with the Hertfordshire Safeguarding Children Board (HSCB) procedures and national guidance. Staff are also informed of updates and changes to legislation by email and staff briefings. Three members of staff are trained as Level 2 Designated Safeguarding Leads.
The lead DSL is Mrs Janice Tearle, Headteacher and the deputy DSLs are Mrs Laura Jablowski (Inclusion Leader and Assistant HT) and Mrs Claire Smith (Wellbeing Mentor). Three members of staff are trained as STEPS trainers (Mrs Janice Tearle; Mrs Laura Jablowski and Mrs Sherry Davies) and training in STEPs is provided to all staff in support of our therapeutic approach to behaviour in school.
Operation Encompass Safeguarding Statement
Our school is part of Operation Encompass. This is a police and education early intervention safeguarding partnership which supports children and young people who experience Domestic Abuse. Operation Encompass means that the police will share information about Domestic Abuse incidents with our school PRIOR to the start of the next school day when they have been called to a domestic incident. In this school, the DSLs have all undertaken the key adult training and this has since been cascaded to our staff team. Our parents are aware that we are an Operation Encompass school. The Operation Encompass information is stored in line with all other confidential safeguarding and child protection information.
Reporting Safeguarding Concerns:
We encourage all members of our school community to raise any concerns of a safeguarding nature with a DSL immediately. However, if anyone has an urgent concern of a child being at risk of harm and cannot make immediate contact with one of the DSLs, they should contact:
Children's Services on 0300 1234043
Please click on the links below to view the relevant school safeguarding policy or document. If you require a paper copy, or have any additional communication needs, please contact the school office for further assistance.
- AAT Anti Bullying Policy March 2022
- AAT Attendance Policy Nov 2021
- AAT HCC safer recruitment policy June 2021
- Accessibility Plan February 2021
- Behaviour Policy September 2021
- Child Protection Policy Sept 2021
- Children Looked After Policy November 2021
- Intimate Care Policy September 2021
- PARENTAL USE OF SOCIAL NETWORKING INTERNET SITES
- Physical Intervention Policy September 2021
- Relationships Health and Sex Education Policy June 2022
- SEND Policy Feb 2021
- Wellbeing Mentor Policy February 2021
- Whistleblowing Policy AAT February 2020
- Collective Worship Policy June 2021
- Home School Agreement 2021
- KS2 OUTCOMES 2019 COMPARISON WITH HERTS AND NATIONAL OUTCOMES
- Uniform Policy March 2022
- Wheatfields Jnr DAA Policy 21 22
- Wheatfields Sports Team Selection Policy November 2021
The Data Protection Officer (DPO) is responsible for ensuring the School is compliant with GDPR and with this policy. To contact the DPO, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Calculation Policy 2022
- Feedback and Marking Policy June 2021
- Homework Policy March 2022
- Teaching and Learning Policy April 2022
ALBAN ACADEMY TRUST POLICIES
Wheatfields Junior School is part of the Alban Academy Trust. For Trust wide policies please click here
Anti Bullying Policy
Behaviour Statement of Intent Policy
Charging and Remissions Policy
Data & Records Management Policy
Data Protection & Data Breach Policy
Freedom of Information Act
Gifts and Hospitality Policy
Health and Safety Policy
IT Acceptable Use and Online Safety Policy
Privacy Notice for Staff, Trustees and Governors and Volunteers
Single Equality Policy
Supporting Students with Medical Conditions Policy